Five Clues That Will Tell You If You Need Roof Replacement
How do you know if your roof needs replacement? If not the whole roof, you may need to replace some of its parts. But are there clues that will tell you before water stains appear on the plaster of your ceilings? It is important for you to know these signs because it will mean the difference between a small and inexpensive repair and a large and costly job that may even take several days to accomplish. Here are some clues that will tell you if you need a roof replacement.
1. Roof is already old
If your roof is already more than 20 years old, and there are signs that problems are beginning to develop, it’s time to think of replacing it. Even if there seems to be no problem yet, it is wise to have it inspected so that you will be able to see its actual condition. Have a roof specialist check all of the possible roof sections that are prone to damage. Ask him to make an estimate of the repair or replacement of each damaged section so that you will know how much you need to prepare to have it repaired or replaced.
2. Problems with roof shingles
Roof shingles will give you some clues if they need replacements. Look at the following clues:
- Algae growth – when there is algae growth on the roof shingles, moisture will be trapped on the roof longer than it should. The life of the roof will be affected if the moisture is not eliminated.
- Shingles are curled, cracked or some are missing – over time, shingles will curl, crack or be torn apart from the roof. That means their protective granules are already worn out. When these conditions are present, it’s about time to replace the roof shingles.
3. Evidence of rotting
Rotting will also tell you if you need to repair or replace your roof.
- If there are wooden parts in the roof that are already rotting in their places, it could mean the presence of termites or that moisture has been doing their damaging work. You need a roof specialist to determine the real cause of the problem. Termite problems are easy to spot, but leaking problems are more difficult to trace. A professional root repair service provider will also help you choose the right steps to take to solve the problem.
- Another type of damage that you need to check is dry rotting. This type of rotting occurs not because of leaking or dripping water but by poor ventilation. When there is dry rot, the roof may sag in. It will cause the shingles to be brittle and then to crack, which will lead to leaking. Consult a roof specialist on how you can prevent dry rot in your roof.
4. Damaged Flashings
Flashings on the roof are always subjected to the elements that cause them to separate, lift and for their caulking to dry out. These things can happen to the flashings that are installed in chimneys, stacks, wall details, rakes, eaves, valleys and skylights. Due to contraction and expansion, the flashing details will be prone to lifting and separation. The continuous contraction and expansion that they experience will cause their fasteners to loosen up and the flashing flange at the bottom to be lifted thus causing water penetration.
5. Sunlight coming through the roof boards
If you are in your attic and you notice that sunlight is peeking through the roof boards, you may need to have some repairs or even some replacements in your roof. When there is a spongy feeling as you walk on the roof, that could mean moisture has already weakened the underlying deck. Consult a professional roof service provider to determine the best way you can solve this roof problem.